Pages

Thursday 15 September 2011

It's September! For the past month I've cooked incessantly with plums, raspberries, blackberries, and now, new season apples. Corn on the cob features heavily, too, this time of year. I should be cooking with tomatoes as well, but the tomatoes I am trying to grow in my garden are still a shameful green!

I've always suspected that plums make exceptionally good chutney, but in the past when I have made plum chutney I have gotten a bit carried away with adding other seasonable vegetables and fruits - heady combinations of fresh courgettes, onions, apples etc. - which have diluted the taste of the plums to the point where I can't really tell if they are there. So, this year the rule is, as it was with my gooseberry chutney (which I am enjoying very much, by the way, with strong cheddar in my frequent, solitary ploughman's lunches): keep it simple; that is, keep the flavors simple. So, here is my original plum and ginger chutney from this season, which has turned out, I am pleased to say, very fruity and plummy indeed:

Plum and Ginger Chutney

1 kilo plums (stoned weight - I used Victoria plums, but other varieties would do also)
250 grams onions, chopped
250 grams sultanas or raisins
300 grams light brown sugar
1 eating apple (I used a cox), diced
2 pieces stem ginger in syrup, chopped
50 grams dates, chopped
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon corinader seeds
350 mls cider vinegar
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2-4 tablespoons ginger syrup, depending on taste

Put everything into a large, deep pan. Bring to the boil, then turn it down and let it simmer for a couple of hours, until the chutney becomes thick to the point where you can see the bottom of the pan when you stir it with a spoon. Mostly this should be done without the lid on the pan, but sometimes I sneak the lid on half way for a little while, just to help us all cope with the smell of cooking vinegar! Pack into clean, hot jars, and seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment